A quick guide
There are plenty of resources on the internet: you can read all about locuming and the National Association of Sessional GPs code of good practice from the NASGP website (membership fee required).
- Join the Devon performer’s list (see details on this here)
- Register for payment of CLASS II NATIONAL INSURANCE contributions. 084591-54655, or visit the Inland Revenue website.
- Advertise on this website and in the LMC Purple Pages – just send us a short snippet about yourself, but please keep it to a minimum, normal font and typing.
- Talk to other locums to get an idea of what to expect. Although most practices operate the same way, some have ‘foibles’ – its best to be prepared.
- Decide what fees you will charge and be clear about these with practices when you accept/confirm bookings. It is a good idea to clarify what the practice expects of you as well (ie how long is the surgery, do they expect you to do paperwork and pathology results, how many visits etc.). Again, most practices are pretty reasonable, and a little bit of give and take goes a long way.
- Get your email and mobile phone number out there so you can be contacted about work. Keep a file in your email account for work that has been confirmed.
- Set up a system for invoicing practices. Penny perfect is a good option. There is another site I have recently come across but not used: https://www.locumorganiser.com/?gclid=CKWksczwuaQCFV_92AodNjLcOA
- Find out who to send your pension forms and cheques to at your PCT (see pensions section).
- Get an nhs.net email account. Please contact the Local Organisation Administrator (LOA) in your local CCG as follows: For Northern, Eastern and Western Devon CCG please use the NEW Devon CCG request form: Completed forms should be forwarded to: firstname.lastname@example.org For South Devon and Torbay CCG please use the SD & T request form. Completed forms should be emailed by the approving line manager from his or her existing NHSmail account. Please send this form to the following email address: email@example.com If you have any issues registering an NHSmail account please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get an NHS Smartcard. Contact email@example.com or 01392 356135 or NEW Devon CCG, IT Department, Newcourt House, Old Rydon Lane, Exeter, EX2 7JU.
He will ask you to confirm some personal details such as your full name, date of birth, NI number and GMC number.
If you are applying for a new Smartcard they will also need a head and shoulders photograph in order to print the card, and it would be helpful if you could visit the offices as above, or they can make an appointment to visit you if you are working in a GP surgery in Devon.
- Join a study group